Saturday, December 29, 2007

Continuing the conversation...

Keeping the conversation alive is going to be important throughout the rehearsal process for this show. Any questions you have, others probably have as well. Issues you are having with the subject matter, others are probably having too.

I want us to be open and honest and fuel this documentary that we are building for our audience with our own thoughts and ideas on the topics being presented.

I thought we could use this blog as a mechanism to do just that. We will have limited time in rehearsal for any lengthy discussions.

I would like you to start by looking at the notes you took during the read-thru. I asked you to write down items in 4 boxes.

1. What do you say about your own character?
2. What do other characters say about you?
3. What are the major themes / ideas that are presented in this play?
4. What questions or issues do you have with the script/concept/etc?

With a stronger focus on 3 and 4 right now, I would love to get some comments on this post with your answers.

Thanks for your focus and thoughtful discussion at the read-thru. I look forward to beginning rehearsals next week.

-Mr. Jackson

11 comments:

Meagan said...

Some major themes I had written down were:
-Being aware of your surroundings
-Man vs Self
-Hummanity

I had some others, but they were all pretty obvious ones

Corey Jackson said...

Humanity is definitely an interesting topic.

It was very eye opening to me at the read-thru to hear the actual human voices behind the SS and prisoners of the camp.

It makes it almost harder to understand how it could have happened.

I've been pulling together a lot of photographs this week for a lot of our projections and it's hard to understand how these people were systematically removed from society and it took way too long for that same society to get involved.

Pat said...

i like how, unlike most traditional holocaust shows, which focus mainly on the undisputed horrors of the camps/ghettos, this one
a - doesnt totally demonize the regular nazis guards who carried out the atrocities (they're still people)
b - asks why the allies/vatican aren't doing more to save the jews - ie by bombing the train lines/concentration camps or helping the occupied Romanian (I believe) government protect its Jews from deportation. I find this especially important because, at least in my mind, the only possible justification for world war two is that we were trying to save the Jews... and yet we repeatedly neglected to take actions which could have done so.

Bryan said...

I think that the administration's reasoning behind not bombing the train lines leading to Auschwitz was that there were enough anti-Semites in America who would object to a war being fought to save the Jews rather than to defeat the Germans. It was obviously a terrible policy and disgusting pandering to racists, but that's the most likely reason.

My favorite aspect of this show is that is plays with your expectations. The Nazis all say nice things and appreciate music. The Jewish prisoners fight amongst each other and bicker. And its ending is bittersweet. Normally pieces about the Holocaust never end with any degree of happiness.

ErinRM said...

May I just say, a bit out of topic, that the connection within the cast tonight was amazing to me. Especially how both casts could relate everything to eachother.
There was a moment when all of the talking just stopped and all I could hear was the pulsing of the air vents, like one big heartbeat. I loved it.

And besides the cheesy stuff...

I really like how we took the time to connect ourselves to the play's situations and themes. I think it's important that we understand what these characters, these real people, went through by comparing it to our daily lives and obstacles. And while we may not be going through the horrors of gas chambers and crematoriums, we've all all instances that have hit almost as deep.

Meagan said...

I completley agree with Erin. Last night was fantastic.
When I was younger, I had this odd obsesion with the Holocaust. I know, it sounds weird. But I found it really interesting when I was in the 5th grade.
I always new that it was a horrible, horrible thing, but while reading about it , I was never seriously...upset.
After last night's rehersal, it finally hit me. These people were being murdered strictly because of what religion they practiced. It wasn't even very obvious that they were jewish.
It's crazy to think that (relatively) the same thing is happening right now in Darfour. (excuse my spelling if it's wrong)
Everyone says "We need to remember what happened so we don't make the same mistake again" but whether or not we want to believe it, we are.

ErinRM said...

The only thing I feel that we need to wrok on is that, while the shows focus mainly on Jews, that the holocaust also targeted people like the Roma (gypsies), homosexuals, sick, etc. I was pleased when Nick brought that up, but I don't think that many people heard it.

Anonymous said...

The following comments are going to be somewhat disjointed--not connected to each other.

I agree with all of the comments here.

Also, I think that it was really important that the conversation got so personal and emotional at rehearsal because we will now be more believable in our character portrayals, connect better as a cast, have energy flow between BOTH shows, and really show our audience something that hopefully will have a huge impact. Otherwise, I feel that it would just be a show about the Holocaust, nothing more.

I am really excited about the Q & A session with the audience after the show!

ErinRM said...

Ohh, Q&A, I forgot about that! That part will certainly add to the whole experience for everyone!

Anonymous said...

In case anyone is interested, the props list for the show:

Fania's food net (with foods in it)

Chess Board

Water Bottle

Sausages

Compass

Pail(?)

Bonbon

Truncheons

Prisoners Luggage, valises, etc

Canvas bag

Barber's scissors

Accounts book

Cloth

Bread

Clipboard

Card board box

sheet music

Baton

Margarine packet

tin cookie box

leather tool bag

Shovels and picks

Pencils and paper

Fania's diary

Riding crop

Toothbrush

Chocolate

Bottle

Stretcher

Needle and Thread

Folded Paper

Meat on Bone

Bra and Stockings

Bowl

Teddy Bear (we may not need this)

Flowers

Alma's armband

sailor hat

potatoes

potato peeler

rifles

combat gear

Club

Silverware

Linen

SS gear



sorry I haven't been posting regularly. I have no excuse. This is a very important, very interesting conversation that can't ever end. We all have to take it with us beyond here and never stop talking about it.

Mrs. Dockser had each of us in the Grey Zone talk into a tape recorder about how these shows effect us and effect the people who will see it. It really helped me in a lot of ways with the show, and truly with life and humanity in general. It was very theraputic. hopefully we will have all you guys do the same. Keep up the good work. I love you all.

Meagan said...

Short comment.
Durring last night's rehersal when we were going over the last barracks/cattle care scene, Mr. Jackson said how everyone was going to have a "personal moment"- wondering whether they were going to survive or not, etc. I was very glad when I found out Joanne and I also participate in that. We're on stage almost all the time with the orchestra (excuse my spelling)and we don't grt a chance to show very much emotion, and I'm glad we get to have that chance.