Monday, December 31, 2007

Paper Clips

I just watched another documentary called "Paper Clips" where a group of middle school students start an after school project for the purpose of remembrance of the victims of the Holocaust. The paper clip was a symbol of silent protest against the Holocaust in Norway. The Norweigans not shipped away would wear paper clips on their lapel. The fear was that an actual protest would land them in a cattle car as well.

In this documentary, the school officials identify a problem in the community. They are all alike. There is no diversity in the student population. The students decide to begin a project of collecting 6 million paper clips to not only remember the 6 million Jews killed during the Holocaust but also to better understand what 6 million looks like. It's a powerful message and supported in the film with survivor interviews, classroom lessons, and liberation footage.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

-Mr. Jackson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, about three years ago my Hebrew School class watched it. Unfortunately I don't remember much, seeing as I was only in 6th grade at the time. But I do recall watching it and thinking it was amazing that a group of students could collect six million paper clips, if they were dedicated enough.

ErinRM said...

Unfortunately, our class didn't get to watch the video, but we spent a good long time in class dsicussing the whole concept. Am I the only one who find it a bit odd that in order to study such a huge part of history, we need to wait until Highschool; but even after that we need to wait to take a certain course? Ah well.

Anonymous said...

I saw it, in a class during hebrew school about jewish pluralism, and thought it was fairly interesting, although I don't remember much about it now.