Sunday, February 10, 2008

Transformations in the show

Hey guys, Mr. Jackson said we should start our own posts so I thought I would give it a try. This blog is really important and I want to be more active in it.

For me, one of the most interesting aspects of playing Marianne is how she changes through the show. At the beginning, she is afraid of everything and puts her life completely in Fania's hands. As the show progresses, She realizes she can't simply depend on Fania and seeks food by other means. She even becomes so independent that she turns her back on Fania in the end. I want this transformation to become more and more visible through my acting. Running act one and two has made me realize this.

I think a sort of transformation is in every character. What do you guys think? I know by the end Esther has grown a sort of admiration for Fania that she didn't have at the start of the show. I'd love to hear what the rest of the cast and crew think about this.

5 comments:

Bryan said...

I change from a sick, music-loving sociopath to a bummed-out sick, music-loving sociopath.

Does that count?

Corey Jackson said...

It does count, you should think about how that journey could come across, Bryan. It is a very different Mengele watching the first concert, then the man we see in the final Mengele scene.

This is a great thread. Can't wait to see what others post.

-Mr. Jackson

Meagan said...

I think my character becomes much less strict and stiff. By the end of the show, she's just as hopeless as everyone else. This is shown in the "Will I Live" moment, and in the final cattle car scene. I think it's interesting to see her be put in the same boat as the orchestra, because through out the rest of the show she always keeps a feeling of heir

fudgythewhale13 said...

I think this is a great idea,and I'm so glad someone thought of it. So many of the characters go through significant changes throughout the show, whether it be changes in themselves, or relationships with other people, etc.
For Fania, she starts off with a lot of feeling and emotional power, and we see her throughout the show begin to lose some of that. By the end, it seems very much that she has given up, especially when she tries to give her diary to Elzvieta. And it is because of the changes that have occurred with other characters in the show that give her some of the extra strength that she needs in order to survive.
I hope people keep adding to this!
-Claire

Corey Jackson said...

Meagan - great insight that you all end up in the same situation by the end. The power you were given was so irrelevant by the end.

Claire - Your character is very interesting in that it seems that she has all but given up by the end. Yet, she keeps her drive going, she keeps some humor within, and she continues to express herself with her music. Even in what she believes are her dying moments.

Keep em coming guys. This is fantastic.